Thursday, September 06, 2007

Greetings on Teachers' Day

One of the profs. from my UG times, we'd shared fondness of each other. It didnt' matter what he taught in the classroom, but there was a connect, stronger than a lot of other teachers.

He responded thus to my teachers' day greeting :

Dear Ankur

Thank you so much for remembering me on this day. A class well satisfied
after a lecture, is the best tribute you can pay to a teacher. Your class
paid that tribute many times over...

May the lord almighty bless you all. I still remember and miss yours and
your classmates smiling faces, the tea sessions, the midnight seminars
and the associated samosas... Time they say "Marches on". Those
memories to borrow  the words from a famous english poet, by the name
of William Wordsworth (as I am not so original) are

Though absent long,
These memories have not been to me,
As is a landscape to a blind man's eye:
But oft, in lonely rooms, and mid the din
Of towns and cities, I have owed to them,
In hours of weariness, sensations sweet,
Felt in the blood, and felt along the heart,
And passing even into my purer mind
With tranquil restoration:- feelings too
Of unremembered pleasure; such, perhaps,
As may have had no trivial influence
On that best portion of a good man's life;

.... the poem goes on.. I would not like to bore you as I did with my
lectures a few years back. Just keep writing, whenever you have time. Your
letters mean a lot to an old man like me. They keep me young at heart.

I hope you make yourself, your parents, your family, your teachers, your
school and your Institute and your country proud in the years to come.

raghava varma


On Wed, 5 Sep 2007, Ankur Gattani wrote:

> Dear Prof. Varma,
>
> Hope you're well.
>
> Thought of conveying my best wishes and warm regards on the occasion of
> Teachers' Day.
>
> Taking this day to thank my teachers who've taught me what I know today and
> contributed to shaping my personality the way it is today.
>
>
> Warm Regards,
>
> Ankur Gattani
> Class of 2006
> B.Tech Engg. Physics
> IIT Bombay
>
>

--
Raghava Varma
Department of Physics
Indian Institute of Technology Bombay
Powai Mumbai 400076
Mobile 09869075722
Phone 02225764548

2 comments:

aDeSe said...

impressive stuff...
its amazing to know that you are in touch with UG teachers..

you inspire !

Vipin Kumar said...

meri bhi baat hui thi raghav sir se ...he is really a humble guy.

Abey dikh raha tha ki how happy he was after seeing me.

He also mentioned that our was the best batch that he had in years.

Sure that felt good !

:)